Friday, February 27, 2026

The Warmth of Other Suns The Epic Story of America's Great Migration by Isabel Wilkerson

Normally the assigned books from my groups motivate me to read, but a draggy book caused me to turn from audio books to TV for company. 

We moved a small TV into my sewing room, right next to my sewing machine. I listened to 2020, Dateline, or 48 hours, streaming 24/7 on the live Roku option, while I sewed. I did this for weeks. 

What started this book slump?

The Warmth of Other Suns

The Epic Story of America's

Great Migration

Audiobook • 22h 40m



Several people in my book groups said

- “why didn’t you just stop reading this book?”

- “do you feel like you have to finish every book you start”

- “if it is a bad book, just stop reading”


Here’s the thing - it was a good book. It was well written, it was important, I think it will be considered a classic in the future. 

But it was not compelling. It did not draw me in. The only place I wanted to listen to it was in the car. When there was nothing to distract me, when I was a captive audience, I listened to it just fine.

It took me weeks to finish it, but I did finish it. 

Ironically it sent the librarian who assigned it into a book slump too. 



    


I maintain accounts on GoodReads and StoryGraph, thanks to youngest getting me organized. 

StoryGraph - 







In each book post, I utilize https://www.bookseriesinorder.com/

This is a wonderful website that helps clarify the publication order of books and verifies book series. I use this website because there are no spoilers. But if I need a description, I can click over using the links, easily. There are also author bios.