| Race / Ethnicity | Number | Percentage of U.S. population |
|---|---|---|
| Americans | 308,745,538 | 100.0 % |
| White | 223,553,265 | 72.4 % |
| African American | 38,929,319 | 12.6 % |
| Asian American | 14,674,252 | 4.8 % |
| Native Americans or Alaska Native | 2,932,248 | 0.9 % |
| Native Hawaiian or other Pacific Islander | 540,013 | 0.2 % |
| Some other race | 19,107,368 | 6.2 % |
| Two or more races | 9,009,073 | 2.9 % |
February is Black History month in the United States and Canada.
It is observed in October for the United Kingdom.
In 2012, I just happened to read several books with this theme ( Uncle Tom's Cabin, Cry, the Beloved Country, The Tales of Huckleberry Finn, and Out of Africa). I commented it felt like it was a personal Black History month, except those books were stretched out over a couple months, not just February.
Last year, in February, I read Their Eyes Were Watching God (1937) by Zora Neal Hurston.
I gathered other books from my various reading lists, with this theme, and kept them here, together for future February reads:
Native Son (1940) by Richard Wright.
The Jungle (1906) by Upton Sinclair.
The Color Purple (1982) by Alice Walker
Beloved (1987) by Toni Morrison.