Saturday, October 19, 2019

Medical binder/records and appts

About a year ago we put medical (records) binders together. These were for me, middle and youngest.  (Clicking on the medical records label below, will find that post.)


It started with middle. My mother (retired nurse) helped me go thru all middle’s papers, shred what we did not need and create an organized binder with the keepers. She actually has two binders which now live in a canvas bag and are ready to roll.



This is very handy.

So after that success, we made them for youngest and me too.




I have caught up on all my medical appts
and shots (1st shingles, pneumonia 23, flu) this year.

I even made myself a list (of my annual appts) for future years:
GP/bloodwork - February and August
Dentist - April and October
Asthma/Allergist - August
Mole check - October
Pap - October
Mammogram - December
Eye - December



And as I have gone from appt to appt, this fall, I have taken my binder with me. I have been asked for records I had with me, at almost every appt, which made things very smooth.

I switched GP’s this year. And my new GP went thru my whole binder, making notes. He also asked me about a couple things that were not in my binder. When I got home, I requested records on two old surgeries to fill in the gaps he had noticed.

At my pap yesterday, the nurse practitioner had me pull sections (from my binder that applied to that visit). And she noticed my bone density records were not in my binder. They made me a copy before I left that appt.



This (medical records binder) is something I would recommend for everyone. And something I would start for babies.

We absolutely cannot rely on medical facilities to have all records. Computer systems crash and are updated, people move, practices close, records are (shockingly) easily lost.

It is very convenient to be at an appt and have everything needed. In an emergency, or out of town specialist, it is doubly important to have records.