As in the weather was still cooperating and all of our body parts work, sort of.
So late on Friday afternoon, I put the sprinkler on this area (with a double tarp over the pools of drying dirt), for two hours.
I learned last spring with all the rain, I can dig, if the soil has had a major soak.
Then at 10am Saturday we started. I dug, my husband separated any plants/roots from the dirt. The dirt went back on the ground, the rest went in the garbage. And we cleared a nice swatch behind the daisy border.
This bed is huge, so it is hard to get perspective in pictures (below). But believe me it was a lot.
Then at 1pm, I went for dirt, 14 (40 lb) bags. My mom helped me. I hauled/dumped, she raked it flat. And the second border is ready for ***annuals next spring. (I felt a bit like the Amish, they prep their fields for spring planting, each fall).
Then I dug and my mom planted, narcissus in between daisies, but every other daisy so the bulbs have room to spread.
They are the miniature bouquet variety, many blooms from each bulb, in a cluster. They will be up first and then the daisies will cover the wilting greens. (I do not cut, I let the green soak back into the bulb).
They are the miniature bouquet variety, many blooms from each bulb, in a cluster. They will be up first and then the daisies will cover the wilting greens. (I do not cut, I let the green soak back into the bulb).
So 15 bulbs went in that border, and 5 extra were planted in front of the millstone in another bed.
***Next spring I am planting two varieties of Zinnias (below) in that second border. I have already ordered the seeds.
I think the colors and textures are beautiful. And I think the variety will look great behind the massive border of white daisies.
The rest of the front has mostly yellow/gold flowers. There are a couple masses of pink and purple too. And I have two places that bloom orange. So I think these colors will blend. And they will look like a print, amidst a field of solids.


