Saturday, February 03, 2024

The drawers between the stove and the sink

The top two drawers were organized years ago. Everything has a designated area, they are full, they stay tidy.




The two big drawers were recently reworked to give each item a more defined space. 

I culled nine pans (below) in this process. They were either too heavy for me or no longer useful or did not fit in this space or were unnecessary duplicates. They were rehomed/sold/donated.





I divided my remaining pans into two groups. Every day pans are in the middle drawer. Speciality pans and molds are in the bottom drawer.

By doing the dishes every day, there are usually only 1-2 every day pans involved. Cleaning out the dishwasher, it is obvious where each of those pans are stored. Lids have to go on pans for everything to fit. It stays tidy. 

Having this drawer be full solved a cleaning out the dishwasher willy nilly pan placement problem. In the photo below, one pan and its lid are in the dishwasher. There is no mistaking where they go when the dishwasher is cleaned out later.




The speciality pan (bottom) drawer is rarely used, it will likely just stay tidy. 



Previously these items were in several places in the kitchen. Now like things are all together. If I moved to a house with a very small kitchen, probably nothing in this specialty pan drawer would move with me. But here, this house, I have plenty of space. We use these items over the holidays. 


The only other pan we have, the large Le Creuset wok, lives in the drawer under the stove. It was used constantly during lock down, it is rarely used now. I have the space for it, so it stays.