Monday, February 05, 2024

The towel drawers

Today’s topic is a set of three drawers between the dishwasher and the pantry.

The top drawer was a junk drawer long ago. When we purchased a tool cabinet for the garage, I think 2019, it became a tea drawer. 


December 2023, four years later, the tea moved. I considered leaving the drawer empty. But a need arose, bottom of this post. 


First, the story of the tea.

When I cleaned off my sewing table earlier this fall, this little drawer cabinet (below) went in the car to go to the resale shop. I couldn’t part with it, the cabinet came back home with me. That might be the first time (ever) this has happened.

When I walked back in the door, I knew I either found a use for it immediately, or it went back in the car. 

November 2023, it became my tea caddy.





I like the juxtaposition of the natural wood against the painted wood of the shelves and all that glass. It is a perfect repurposing.


This section of the kitchen, three drawers, got my attention, 12/1/23. It needed it. 




When all my kitchen towels were clean at one time, the bottom drawer (above) would neither open nor close. It was stuffed. There were more towels in the middle drawer which was stuffed too. 

This is very much a Dana K White philosophy. When everything is clean, it all needs to fit easily in its designated spot/container.


Here are the scrub cloths and drying towels from those two drawers, on the kitchen table. 



The item on the end is a new table cloth, which I did not know I had. If I were looking for a table cloth, I would look for it in my hutch, so it moved. Also a Dana K. White philosophy. Where would you look first? That is where things go.


I divided the kitchen towels/scrub cloths. The keepers went in the bottom drawer. 




These (below) were the rejects, which were all rehomed.





This pile remained -



These (above) are all what I would call “fancy/holiday towels”. 

At one time these towels were in my gift bin in the top of my closet. I have eliminated that bin and the concept. 

I no longer buy things to put away as gifts. This was a major clutter problem for me. It really helped to stop buying “future gifts”. I also now avoid garage sales and sale racks and stores in general, that has all combined to help, the whole house, a lot.


These holiday towels now live in the top drawer. 



They hang over the handle on my stove, each in turn, for each of their respective holidays. 

I dry my hands on them. 






I did not forget the middle drawer, which (very) long ago held phone books. 

I sorted out the aprons, previously in a crock in the pantry. They went in the middle drawer nicely, good use of space (below).