A picture says a lot. I would call this straight up clutter. Clutter begets clutter.
Between cleaning out the pantry and cleaning out the cupboard above the microwave, I rehomed 8 large canning jars (below) that I previously used for bulk food storage. They served me well.
The new owner cans vegetables from her garden and buys new (two piece canning) lids each year. She did not need my lids. She was very grateful for 8 huge jars.
There were 12 large jars originally, I rehomed eight, I kept four.
Once upon a time, everyone home, I cooked a lot of volume to feed everyone dinner and generate leftovers for lunches. Then during lockdown, everyone home and supply chain undependable, I kept a lot of staples. If you remember, we were dumping staples from their store wrappings into home containers. Those 12 jars were vital during that time.
My husband cold brews his own coffee. He uses two of these jars regularly in the cold brew process. The other two jars are extras. I also have a few small canning jars.
I purchased six smaller jars (below), that fit on the shelves built into the wall of my pantry. These are squared off jars that hold 8 cups.
They are less than half the size of the old big jars (above). My goal is to only have them half full (2 cups) of dry food (rice, lentils, popcorn, etc).
I ordered these new/squared off jars from Walmart. The lids are lined with cardboard, cannot be washed with water, which was okay with me. It was very hard to find jars that fit this space efficiently.
Now, I do not want a lot of excess. I do not like an over full pantry nor an over full refrigerator.
I *order groceries every Thursday. It is easy to only have 1-2 of canned things in the pantry, not 6-8 like I had in the past, use them, and replace them in my next order.
This is self fulfilling. I want low volume of a variety in the pantry, so I have what I need on hand, without having an over full pantry or refrigerator.
Curbside has made a huge difference for me. It helps me plan. I have a consistent grocery schedule. I only need $35 in groceries to make curbside free. It is a super efficient use of my time.
* Between Sunday and Wednesday night at midnight, I have an active/working grocery order online. I look at what I have, I realize what I need, I think about meals, I think about cooking meat and having it ready in the freezer. It is all a simpatico relationship/process.
I have a reminder on my calendar for every Sunday at 9pm that tells me to check my calendar for the upcoming week, sign up for my yoga classes, start a grocery order.
The grocery reminds me of my order. I will not forget, I curbside on my way home from yoga, Thursday late morning. I fill my car with gas, every Thursday when I drive by the gas station, owned by the grocery. No matter how much is in my tank, I fill it. My grocery dollars generate savings at the gas station. This is a multiple pairing/simpatico relationship of errands and my pantry, refrigerator and car.


