Wednesday, February 07, 2024

The pantry, part two, the lids

Dana K White strongly recommends storing lids on all containers.

Yes, this means less items for most people. That is a good thing for most people. Having everything have a place, everything fit easily in its place, and like things together, improves a house greatly.

I have taken this all to heart. 

My pans are now all stored with their lids (on).

My Tupperware is all now stored with their lids (on or under them).

My glass dishes, that we use in the microwave, are stored with their plastic lids (on). The lids do not go in the microwave. I do not use plastic in the microwave. 

The lids allow these same containers to be used for food in lunch boxes and in the refrigerator. The food is touching the glass. The plastic lid seals it. 

The basket, in the pantry, that used to hold the glass container’s lids, now holds my husband’s two lunch boxes. The lunch boxes used to end up on the pantry floor regularly. 

If I need to use the basket as a carry-all, I simply take out the lunch boxes, use it, put it back when I am done. It is a very sturdy basket which now serves a dual purpose.




I went thru all the lids, recycled a ton of cracked lids, bought new/replacements. I bought all blue. Blue and white dominate in my pantry. I like cohesiveness, having “somewhere for the eye to go”. 

Note - I now hand wash all these lids, I think they will last longer.