Wednesday, April 16, 2025

Board books project

Board books are toddler books with cardboard pages. They are sturdy. Little hands can turn the pages more easily. 

When middle taught preschool for two years, she owned a classroom library of board books. The preschool board books have been in bins at my house since 2018. 

We also had family board books. 

I have sent a few board books to granddaughter over the last six months. 



February/March 2025, I realized I needed to sort the board books and communicate with oldest/DIL so they did not purchase board books we already have. (I did this same thing with the Dr Seuss books last summer/2024. Sorted and shipped Dr Seuss books to them so they did not buy duplicates and to get them out of my house).

Middle hauled board books out of her old closet and our living room shelves and helped me sort. 

There were duplicates. The duplicates immediately went to middle’s clinic. 

I photographed all the remaining board books and texted the pictures to oldest/DIL. They already had a few of the board books, but not many. 

DIL marked duplicates or books that did not interest them, with an X on my photos, and texted them back to me (examples below). Those rejected books also went to middle’s autism clinic.

Middle saved a couple board books at her house. I saved a couple at my house also. As granddaughter out grows board books, they will pass them on to other families. None of these books are coming back to our houses. 






I started mailing books, I mail one box each month -

The first March 2025 box was 100% books. I included the titles that DIL was very excited to get (Richard Scarry). I got a lot of board books in a medium flat rate box. 

(A second March 2025 box was also 100% books. These were all YA books that youngest saved for granddaughter when she cleaned out her books a year or two ago. The pile was sitting in my garage. I mailed them book rate.)

I mailed the April box last week. I got a lot of board books in a recycled Amazon box and shipped it book rate.

The May box will be a flat rate box with board books and a variety of other things for granddaughter’s birthday month. 

I have sorted boxes for the rest of the summer and fall. They are taped/labeled and ready to go. I wrote the month, each is to be mailed in pencil, on the outside of each box. 

Here are part of them -