The Good Lord Bird by James McBride was a book group assignment.
I started it.
I thought “this is awful” and looked it up on SuperSummary.
Two magic words explained it all - Mark Twain.
The only place I can remotely stand Samuel Clemons is on Star Trek Next Generations with Whoopi Goldberg.
I stopped trying to listen to The Good Lord Bird.
I bailed 100% and returned it to the library. Absolutely no one was waiting for it, no holds, but I returned it early anyway.
The Three Body Problem by Liu Cixin
Oldest read this book and recommended it to youngest. It was in our shared Libby account, but she was not yet reading it. When I bailed on The Good Bird Book, I started The Three Body Problem. I also bailed on it.
It was very well written and a great science fiction book. My problem? The characters names were too similar and I absolutely could not keep anyone straight.
I gave it a good try. I listened to almost four hours and then realized even with a character list, this was not going to work.
I listed my start dates and added both books to my Did-Not-Finish shelf on Good Reads.





