Yes, this was a library book group assignment.
My normal is to start a new book on Monday with the discussion group meeting that Wednesday or Thursday, so the book is fresh in my mind.
The librarian who runs this group, also co-hosts another group, so I see her a couple times a month. Two weeks before the Demon Copperhead meeting, she suggested I might want to start early.
I listened to her. I started two Mondays before the assigned meeting date. This book is just over 21 hours on audio. I did the math, 21 hours divided by ten days, equalled at least two hours a day. I did that until I got down under 6 hours and then sprinted to the end. From now on, I need to check the length of the assigned books, well in advance.
Yes, it was very well written. The construction of the plot and interweaving of the characters was very well done. I did not need a character list, everyone was memorable. Author tied up the plot lines nicely. Yes, award winning author.
I would like to add that I was one of the few people who finished the Demon Copperhead book. Many did not allow themselves enough time. A few were triggered by the sadness and bailed. One person read the beginning and the end and skipped the middle.
Several were surprised I finished. They thought it would be too distressing for me.
I was not surprised. Once I made the decision to read it, I made the decision to finish it.
And I have a trick.
My trick is “Tess of the D’Urbervilles” mentality. When I read Tess, middle warned me - it is sad all the way thru, it goes from bad to worse, nothing ever goes right. If you know that from the beginning, you will do fine.
When I am reading something that is an Oprah book club pick or I know from conversations/reviews is bound to be sad, I start out expecting it to go from bad to worse. I expect absolutely nothing to go well. I do not look for an up-side. I know there is not going to be one.
Demon Copperfield is likened to David Copperfield. Based on the title, I would imagine this was on purpose. I had visions of an outline constructed to mirror the two books, but that was just my guess.
When I finished, I looked to see if I have read David Copperfield and I have not. I have read Great Expectations, Oliver Twist, Tale of Two Cities, Bleak House. I have read four of Dickens’ fifteen novels. We read one Dickens per year, in my classic book group, over the course of two months. Would I like to be able to have Dickens on my read author list? Yes. I wish I had continued with the once a year read.
I am tempted to read David Copperfield, but the 36 hours is daunting. One other person said she had the same reaction. She went so far as to hunt out her copy.










