Friday, December 06, 2024

Nine Lives by Peter Swanson

I finished all the Peter Swanson books before the end of the year, before Thanksgiving in fact.

I wanted to mention one thing about the last book - It requires a list of characters. The title is no joke - Nine Lives by Peter Swanson. 

When my niece read Harry Potter, she had a poster board list of characters going to keep track of everyone. 

Reading Nine Lives by Peter Swanson, I started reading normally and then quickly realized I needed a list. 

I found one online and copied/pasted it.  I had it in the notes section of my phone. I added to it as I listened. So very rare for me, I sat and listened to this book, referencing my notes as I went. 

There are a few more minor characters, mentioned (neighbors, co-workers, family, friends, law enforcement, etc) but the list below includes the main characters. It is a great starting point to avoid frustration.

I was okay with this list/notes process. I enjoyed the book. It was worth the effort. I appreciate that the author tried something new. 

But make note - for most people - this is not a book to listen to on audio while driving. Unless you are exceptionally good with names, you will need a list. 

My list started from information on this website. 

https://jhsiess.com/2022/03/19/book-review-nine-lives

But I would encourage you not to read the website, spoilers abound. My information, below, contains no spoilers, just identifiers.



Matthew Beaumont, a suburban father, Massachusetts, married to Nancy 


Jay Coates, cloud security, Georgia


Jay Coates, aspiring actor, LA


Ethan Dart, singer-songwriter, Texas


Caroline Geddes, English professor, Michigan


Frank Hopkins, owner/Windward Resort, Kennewick, Maine


Alison Horne, Jonathon/married man’s paid mistress, New York City


Arthur Kruse, oncology nurse, Massachusetts; Richard/boyfriend and dog Misty died in car wreck, leg damaged


Jack Radebaugh, married/separated, a retired author/businessman who recently returned to his childhood home in Connecticut; wrote - “say it out loud, do it out loud” book, neighbors across the street 


Jessica Winslow, FBI agent, New York, woman of color/adopted by white couple, lesbian


Donald Bennett - regular at the bar 


Sam - detective - grandmother’s Agatha Christie books


Fischer - receives phone calls, Ex- military, Married with kids