This is Historical Fiction, WWII era.
It was a library book group assignment.
I listened to it over the course of three days, I needed to get on to my next book club book which was a long one (Demon Copperhead by Barbara Kingsolver).
I think it is possible, in general, I do not like historical fiction. I don’t think I have read much of it.
I liked this book in the end, but it took me until the half way point to really engage with the characters.
There are three main characters in this book. It helped to start with this character list, there are no spoilers, this information is all stated at the beginning of the book. I found it helpful to have the list as I read -
Althea James - American in cultural exchange program in Germany, published first book.
Hannah Brecht - fled Germany, now librarian in library of burned books
Vivian Childs - American, volunteer for counsel/ initiative/books for armed services, husband died
The characters are contemporaries, they intermingle in the story.
Besides the German burned book plot, there is a second plot about books for service men. This was a real thing during WWII.
This author has a nice list of other books.







