Saturday, December 14, 2024

The Bodyguard by Katherine Center

This is a book I read for a library book group in December 2024.

It was also my “Thanksgiving on the road book”. 

I traveled, by myself, to visit youngest (and the kittens) Wednesday-Saturday of Thanksgiving week. 

Youngest and I share a Libby account. We can see each other’s books. Sometimes middle has a book on there too. The books are not identified by person, they are just all listed. 

Youngest assumed The Bodyguard was middle’s book. Nope, I said, it was mine.

Youngest said the cover definitely identified it as a modern romance. 

Her definition of a modern romance is the woman has a solid life/career of her own, she does not need a man, she might not even be looking for a man, but she finds one anyway. They tend to be very PG.

I had not given the cover a thought. And at that point, I was not far enough along to know anything. But her comments helped temper my expectations for the book. I had a realistic outlook. 

Now, I can verify, yes it is a modern romance. I would classify it as a very light hearted Rom-Com. I thought it was a unique storyline, but it needed editing. There were some disjointed sections. Everyone on my group agreed about the editing. 

Would I read Center’s book list? Personally, probably not. I am not a romance book type of person. It did not have enough depth for me. This was the consensus of my book group too.

But if you like romance and want light reading, you might like this author, she has a nice list of books. I would guess her books are all very good for driving, no character list needed, very straightforward listening.





Center’s website has great biographical information -

https://katherinecenter.com/about/