This quilt is currently at my long arm quilter’s.
When it is finished, it is headed to the same niece who is getting the Grandmother’s Flower Garden. She picked the indigo/white fabric and also the half square triangle design. She knows the indigo quilt is coming. The Grandmother’s Flower Garden is a surprise.
This is the long arm stitch -
Indigo is a very specific fabric, usually made in South Africa. It has labels on the back, identifying it. It comes in small pieces, not on a bolt like regular yardage, in my experience.
All the blue fabric in the photos below is indigo. I paired it with (regular) solid white and white background prints.
I cut 8.5” squares, paired them, and used the diagonal sewing method that generates two half triangle squares from each pair. I trimmed these blocks to 7.5” using a 7.5” rotary square with a diagonal guide in the center.










