My local quilt guild supports a children’s camp that hosts children with cancer one week each summer. Members make and donate children’s quilts. Each child at the special cancer camp gets to pick one quilt to keep. The guild provides more than are needed, so the last child picking still has a wide selection.
Years ago, like 25+ years ago, I chaired this committee. My kids were very small at the time and really loved having the quilts in a pile at our old house. It was quite the stack, the guild donates over 120 quilts each year.
Last year, going back to the guild, I thought I would not participate. I did not plan to donate charity quilts. I thought, based on the reality of my hands, I should not waste my time sewing for other people. I thought my priority was sewing for my own family, while I can.
By pacing myself carefully, and taking care, I am doing fine. A lot of this is because I have my binder. The handwork of binding is the main part that is too much for me.
I realized I have finished quilts, parts of quilt tops, cut fabric, and uncut fabric (all that I no longer want) cluttering my studio.
Anything goes with charity quilts. They can be crazy. The backs can be pieced. The batting can be pieced. Charity quilts are an excellent way to use up materials.
I realized I can make charity quilts, with very little effort.
I realized I need to participate in Guild activities in order to feel part of the guild.
By donating two charity quilts each year, I can actively declutter my sewing room.
Middle also attends the guild with me and is a member. One quilt from each of us, two quilt donations per year.
Sharing this plan with my good with color quilting friend, she thought it was a very good idea. She encouraged me to pace myself. She suggested only donating the minimum number of quilts (2) each year. She suggested working ahead so this process is not painful.
I am working very far ahead. The two eye spy quilts for this year are done, the 2 pink/green quilt tops are ready for the long arm quilter, I just finished a series of orange-ish quilts.
I feel very motivated in finishing charity quilts. I really look forward to reducing materials in my studio. I enjoy being several years ahead. I look forward to sharing them at Show and Tell each year. I look forward to a child enjoying them. I look forward to getting them out of my house.