Monday, July 21, 2025

Better use for a shelf

The shelving unit, behind the door in my sewing closet under the stairs, was very organized. 

It held craft supplies. But in recent years, I never used any of them. In fact, I had not utilized anything on those shelves in many years, maybe nearly a decade.

JoAnn Fabrics went out of business earlier this year. As they had sales, I bought bolts of 108” and 120” wide quilt backing. I also bought a few bolts of 42” fabric to sew together as backing. And I bought bolts of white cotton in a variety of widths. I use white as my background fabric on a lot of quilts these days. 

It occurred to me that the shelving unit was exactly the right size for all these bolts. The bolts were sort of  everywhere. They needed an organized spot. 

These bolts are temporary. Eventually they will all be used. I will not replace them. (Then this shelf will be ready for something else.)

My husband cleared the shelving unit for me. He stacked the craft contents in middle’s old room. She is going through them at a future date. 

I organized my bolts. And it is a very good use of space.