Friday, July 25, 2025

The curve of the large front wooded area, closest to the house

We have been working on the front wooded area at our house. This has been a two year process. It continues. Today’s post covers where I am to date.

Last year/2024, we (my husband and I) removed nine small trees from the front woods. Our next door neighbor, with the barking dogs, does not like anything hanging over the property line or near his house. And last year, I also cleaned up the edge of the ivy/lily of the valley, it was marching toward the barking dogs neighbor’s driveway.

I took these photos, late June 2025, showing the status of the front wooded area, the curve closest to our house. 

I took these photos on the day the high school boy was coming to help my husband remove the honeysuckle and one more small tree.






In June 2025 we also dug up tree starts from all over this wooded area. I think we removed about 70 tree starts. If you have a woods, tree starts are a natural thing. They have wooden stems and are anchored very firmly. It takes two people, one digs, one pulls. I dug 40-50 small ones, my husband pulled. Then the high school boy and my husband dug/pulled the rest that were bigger. They also dug grass patches that had started. Grass is a terrible problem if it gets started on the wrong place.


July 2025 my husband and I aggressively weeded the curved edge of the wooded area closest to the house.

We moved a few plants. He mulched. The definition of the curve is now lovely. I have more to do with the plants on the far corner. 






Next a lawn crew came and evened out our front yard. Years of tree roots had caused major lumps, bumps and holes. I was terrified of falling or twisting an ankle. They added a lot of dirt. They seeded. 

 



More photos to come, in another month or so, more work is coming to this area.