Friday, July 04, 2025

State of Wonder (2011) by Ann Patchett

State of Wonder (2011) by Ann Patchett was a recent assigned book. 

What did the group think? One hated it, she tends to hate most books. Everyone else liked it. Several said they are going to read more Ann Patchett. 

It was my second time reading this book. 

Yes, I have had a variety of seconds in the last couple weeks. Two books reread, two books by the same author read nearly back to back, two books published in 2011 read back to back. 


I did not remember much of this book before I read it the second time, other than I knew I liked it and had recently  recommended it for my husband, who also liked it. 

It was just as good, for me, the second time through. Although I still thought the beginning was muddy. On both reads, I thought there was something confusing with how the book starts. Then, in the middle of chapter one, the muddiness clears and the story begins. 

Middle read it recently for this same group. She liked it also. She agreed about the beginning. 

Note - This listen, I used a pace of 1.40 which is very fast for me. It sounded normal, no chipmunks. 


I have read all of Ann Patchett’s fiction and nonfiction in the past. I think I read State of Wonder first, I read it for a different book group in 2013. I loved it and went on to read the rest of Ann Patchett’s fiction and nonfiction books. 

When I originally read this book, in 2013, I had been immersed in classics for several years straight. State of Wonder was one of several contemporary books to really catch my interest and help me realize, there is a world of modern literature. 


I maintain accounts on GoodReads and StoryGraph, thanks to youngest getting me organized. 

StoryGraph - 










In each book post, I utilize https://www.bookseriesinorder.com/

This is a wonderful website that helps clarify the publication order of books and verifies book series. I use this website because there are no spoilers. But if I need a description, I can click over using the links, easily. There are also author bios.