Monday, September 01, 2025

Domino effect

The only way to have a clean/empty kitchen table at my house is to be a bit militant. 


We have a large kitchen table that is a clutter magnet. 

It has two looks, with no in between. It is either chock full of clutter or it is empty. Those seem to be the only options. In order to have it empty, I have to be very vigilant.

For the last many months, the kitchen table clutter was all mine. I started using it to lay out quilt blocks and it became a fabric magnet. It has been piled for many months. 

In order to have the kitchen table empty, I needed another work surface to lay out fabric and quilt blocks. Luckily the old kitchen table is in my sewing room. Unluckily it was full of fabric too.

This is where dominoes come in to play. 

In order to have the old kitchen table available to spread out my current quilting projects, I needed storage spots for all the fabric. 


The first step was to find a home for all the bolts of fabric I bought at Joann’s during their closeout. They were piled on the old kitchen table. 

I wrote about it here - 

https://baby-steps-v.blogspot.com/2025/07/better-use-for-shelf.html?m=1



That shelving unit will empty itself as I use that fabric. I will not be buying more bolts. Joann’s is quite gone/fini.


There is still more fabric. It is the folded fabric, not on bolts. There is a lot of it. 

I have a second shelving unit in that same little sewing closet under the stairs. 


It was very tidy. But I realized it was an under used space. Many of the tidy items on those shelves are obsolete, I no longer need or use them. 

That is where I am working now - I am sorting everything on those white shelves.