The Woman They Could Not Silence by Kate Moore was a recent assignment for Youngest’s book group. I read most of her assigned books.
This was a 15 hour audio book, Libby. Increasing the pace to 1.20 (my standard speed) brought it down to 12.5 hours with no chipmunks.
The nonfiction book takes place in Illinois, USA, beginning in 1860.
Kate Moore, the author, is British.
Kate Moore read her own audio book. Her voice is lovely, she is a good reader, but it was odd to hear an American story via a British accent.
Normally, in my experience, audio books are read with the accent of the book’s origin country. I got used to it, but it was odd.
This book, in my opinion, needed tighter editing. The first 8.5 hours of the book, again my opinion, needed greatly reduced. The last 6.5 was fine. I think of this as the Jane Eyre syndrome.
I stuck with it all the way through, it is an important subject, and a great book, it is just too long in the first half-plus.
The Woman They Could Not Silence by Kate Moore is listed, various sources, as narrative nonfiction and biography.
Note - Kate Moore also wrote a nonfiction book, The Radium Girls. I have not read it. (Not planning to read it because I saw a similar play.)
Radium Girls is a play by DW Gregory (below). I saw a local performance years ago, it stuck with me. I remember it clearly.
I maintain accounts on GoodReads and StoryGraph, thanks to youngest getting me organized.
StoryGraph -
Note - Kate Moore has a long list of fiction works also. From the titles, they may be romances.
https://www.bookseriesinorder.com/kate-moore/
I am only including her non-fiction list (below).
In each book post, I utilize https://www.bookseriesinorder.com/
This is a wonderful website that helps clarify the publication order of books and verifies book series. I use this website because there are no spoilers. But if I need a description, I can click over using the links, easily. There are also author bios.





