Friday, September 26, 2025

Hester by Laurie Lico Albanese

Note one - The librarian and I both agreed to reread The Scarlet Letter by Nathanial Hawthorne prior to reading Hester by Laurie Lico Albanese (2022). I think I am rubbing off on people in my book groups. 


This time I listened to a new version, exclusively on Audible. The reader was excellent. I love this story. 





Note two - Of course, I looked, according to GoodReads, there are 38 books inspired by The Scarlet Letter. Hester is one of these books. 

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/79875.Books_Inspired_by_The_Scarlet_Letter




Hester by Laurie Lico Albanese (2022) was an assigned book for one of my groups. 

If the name rings a bell, Hester is the main character in The Scarlet Letter by Nathanial Hawthorne (1850). Yes, it is the same Hester reference, with a twist.

Hester by Laurie Lico Albanese was a very good book. I enjoyed it. 

My only comment - there are three past stories told in “interlude” sections amid the main story of the book. I wish the earlier stories had been told all in one go at the very beginning of the book. 

I have the urge to get a ebook and copy and paste the interlude sections together. Can you copy sections of an ebook? 




I listened to Hester by Laurie Lico Albanese on Libby.   The reader was very good.

I used a 1.15 pace (my normal for most books is 1.20).  This only decreased the time by just over an hour. I listen at the pace that is most comfortable for me.





   

I maintain accounts on GoodReads and StoryGraph, thanks to youngest getting me organized. 

StoryGraph - 





Note - I have only read one other book by Nathaniel Hawthorne, The House of the Seven Gables. I might consider a deep dive into to this author’s list at a later date. But I would definitely skip the last three books on the list below, I 100% avoid posthumous books. 


In each book post, I utilize https://www.bookseriesinorder.com/

This is a wonderful website that helps clarify the publication order of books and verifies book series. I use this website because there are no spoilers. But if I need a description, I can click over using the links, easily. There are also author bios.