Saturday, September 20, 2025

Other White House Related Books

 Note - Reading Becoming by Michelle Obama this week, I was reminded of other White House related books I have read. I had forgotten about most of these. I happily added them to my Goodreads and StoryGraph accounts. Of course, I had no way of knowing when I actually read most of these. I used December of the year after publication. 



Today’s post -

I read Dreams from My Father: A Story of Race and Inheritance by Barack Obama in February 2017. This might have been for a book group. It might have been a personal project for Black History month. I liked it very much. I believe this is the only contemporary president book I have read. And it is not really a “presidents” book.  Dreams from My Father: A Story of Race and Inheritance by Barack Obama was published in 1995. He was President from 2009-2017.






I remember books on First Ladies Rosalynn Carter,  Betty Ford, Nancy Regan, and Barbara Bush.

I remember Julie Nixon Eisenhower’s book about her mother too.

I also remember reading about Eleanore Roosevelt, I think it was her autobiography.

So I have read most of the contemporary First Ladies.  

I was born in 1961, I remember most of them. 

First Lady memoirs would be a good project.

I already have Spoken from the Heart by Laura Bush on hold via Libby. 

I looked to see what other First Lady books are out there (tomorrow’s post).



























I remember several books on Lincoln. This is the only title I could remember, but I know there were more. 




In grade school, reading thru the biography section of the school library, I read many books on early presidents. This was a special set of books, I have mentioned previously -

There was a series of books, housed in the biography/autobiography section of that school library, that I read/loved, which I now realize were actually/technically fiction. 

The internet can find nearly anything. One just has to phrase the question correctly. 

My query easily found two articles and a list of the books in question:

https://auxiliarymemory.com/2023/06/12/do-you-remember-the-childhood-of-famous-americans-series-of-biographies-written-for-children/

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2021/7/25/2041922/-Childhood-of-Some-In-Famous-Americans

https://www.librarything.com/nseries/1769/Childhood-of-Famous-Americans