Monday, September 08, 2025

Once a month, I have a bit of a panic

 My studio, with its little closet under the stairs, works very well for me. 

I am used to sewing at home. 

Once a month I load up my stuff and join a group at the downtown library to quilt for the day. I like this group.

Part of this is easy, I have a good rolling cart. I have a portable sewing machine. I have a small bag of supplies. 

Here is where the panic comes in - I never know what project to take to sew. This is fresh in my mind, because my group met this past Saturday. I was in a panicked scramble Friday evening and early Saturday morning, trying to figure out what to take. It was unpleasant.


I work on one project at a time. My project is usually organized on a table and doesn’t feel easily move-able. 

I waste an enormous amount of time scrambling to find something to take. 

I am over this panic. 

I am organizing myself, so that I always have something packed in advance, for these Saturday events. 

My first project is actually four projects. Hopefully this takes me through the end of 2025 and well into 2026. 


I just ordered four alphabet panels (Windham Fabrics), identical to this one, on Etsy -



If this quilt (above) looks familiar, I made it, June 2024, for granddaughter. 

I am repeating this quilt, four more times, for upcoming extended family babies. My husband’s cousin’s kids are now having babies. 


Notice how many colors are in this quilt panel? I plan to use up fabric from my stash in making these baby quilts (borders and backing and binding).

I have double nap flannel on a bolt at my house. This needs used up also. It takes up a lot of room on my shelves. I plan to use the flannel, instead of batting, in a quilt-as-you-go style. This will avoid long-arm quilter fees. 

I did buy the alphabet panels. Since I bought four, the shipping was free. I hope to not buy anything else/extra for any of these baby quilts. 

I am also making coordinating swaddling blankets to send with each package. I may have to buy flannel for the swaddling blankets, I like to send three for each baby.