Sunday, August 24, 2025

A lot of plumbing

Earlier in the summer, a lot of things were replaced at my mother’s house. 

It started with an outdoor spigot. 

It moved to the water shut off valve for her house, her bathroom sink drain, and her hot water heater. 

There might have been more, that’s what I can remember. I scheduled all those repairs and met the plumber and the city water department guy at her house. They were not on the same day. I think it was three appointments. 


This week, the water spout in her bathtub and her bathroom sink faucet were replaced. They were both leaking fiercely. 

In process, the plumber discovered the shut off valve under the bathroom sink did not work. He replaced it. And while he was there, we had him install a handheld wand in the shower. 

I booked the plumber and bought all the fixtures. She wanted as close to what she had as possible. Lowe’s carried what we needed. 

I met the plumber at her house at 8:30am this past Thursday. We quickly realized he needed one more part. I ran and bought it quickly. I stayed long enough for him to verify he had what he needed and then went to my book group. 

He was there until 10:30am or so. He had the replacement water valve on his truck. 

What is going on? 

I think the lifespan of the builder grade plumbing fixtures has been met. Things have worn out simultaneously. There may well be more.