Friday, August 22, 2025

The Winter of Our Discontent by John Steinbeck

The Winter of Our Discontent by John Steinbeck (1961) is the last Steinbeck novel of my Steinbeck Summer 2025 project. 

I enjoyed The Winter of Our Discontent very much. It was nice to end on a positive note. It is also very nice to be done. 

The Winter of Our Discontent was set in the early 1960’s. The story was linear, it was easy to follow. I liked and could easily keep track of the characters. 

I was able to increase the audio speed to 1.20 which brought the very slow pace up to normal. This faster pace helps reading Steinbeck tremendously. I highly recommend it.


I mentioned before - there were waiting lists on Libby for almost all the Steinbeck titles. As I finished each book, there were people waiting. This is just a little crazy to contemplate. Clearly I was not the only person reading Steinbeck this summer. 


Steinbeck was a worthy summer reading endeavor for me.  This project gave me *structure and a book list. 

*One of my book groups did not meet all summer. Dropping from four groups to three groups (plus Youngest’s group) made me feel like I had almost no book groups. I realize that makes no sense. But, I needed more assigned titles. Focusing on one author filled my summer reading list easily. I was not scrambling for books. As I finished each selection, I knew what I was reading next. 


I most definitely needed to tackle Steinbeck as a focused/set project, with a deadline, in order to finish. I was done a couple weeks before Labor Day, the end of summer, I completed Steinbeck easily.

I plan to do this same project with other authors, in future summers. Gretchen Rubin also focuses on one author each summer. This philosophy would work in the winter too. 


Did I read every single Steinbeck title? No, but I stuck with almost all of them, finishing the majority. I read 18 Steinbeck pieces with this project.

What would I recommend? Doing what I did, coming up with a list, working your way through them, skipping things as needed. 


Here is someone  who recommends 15 of Steinbeck’s works. This blog post includes nonfiction pieces too -

https://reedsy.com/discovery/blog/john-steinbeck-books


I maintain accounts on GoodReads and StoryGraph, thanks to youngest getting me organized. 

StoryGraph - 







Note -  I did not re-read The Red Pony which I had read previously. I skipped The Gift. I marked off a short story already included in one of the collections I read. Zapata was not available in audio format. I did not finish The Acts of King Arthur.  I, still, do not plan to read his nonfiction nor the rest of his short stories as part of this project. So, I am done with Steinbeck for now. 











In each book post, I utilize https://www.bookseriesinorder.com/

This is a wonderful website that helps clarify the publication order of books and verifies book series. I use this website because there are no spoilers. But if I need a description, I can click over using the links, easily. There are also author bios.