Friday, August 29, 2025

They Were Sisters (1943) and Someone at a Distance (1953) by Dorothy Whipple

Nicole Reed mentioned English author Dorothy Whipple (1893-1966) in a recent podcast. I was intrigued. 

The Whipple discussion is near the end of the podcast (below). 

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/reeding-between-the-lines/id1744436935?i=1000722229392



Here is short biography on Ms Whipple -

https://persephonebooks.co.uk/pages/dorothy-whipple


Dorothy Whipple originally published between 1927 and 1967. Six of her books were republished recently -






Two of Ms Whipple’s books, They Were Sisters (1943) and Someone at a Distance (1953),  are available in audio format. I listened to both of them on Libby, 1.25 speed. 

These books were well written and very good reads. I enjoyed them, full/rich characters. 

Note - Like many classic books, one just has to “go with it”. Modern standards cannot be applied. 


Note the beautiful covers. The artwork is modern, the original covers were plain, I think. 






I maintain accounts on GoodReads and StoryGraph, thanks to youngest getting me organized. 

StoryGraph -