In approximately 1994 I heard a quilter from southern Indiana speak about maintaining a clutter free sewing room.
Her technique is simple. She only buys supplies for a specific project. She completes the project. She gives away/donates her leftovers.
I write, today, about her in present tense, like she is still in her sewing room. That is how I picture her. In reality, that was almost 30 years ago. I am now turning 63. She might have been that age or even older when she spoke.
What she said did not sink into my brain until 2023.
I now get it.
In fact, I understand it so well, now, that I could write hundreds of words on this topic. I could speak and explain it well. But most quilters, hearing or reading my words, absolutely would not get it.
Quilters think they need a large fabric stash. They are always accumulating fabric (patterns, supplies). They make jokes about whoever dies with the most fabric wins. They refer to fabric as “eye candy”. It is a very specific lifestyle.
I no longer buy something (fabric, notions, patterns) because I like them or they are on sale. “On sale” used to be a big trap.
No matter how beautiful or unique a fabric is now, when I get ready to do a specific project, I will be able to find beautiful and unique fabric. It will probably even be on sale. Or, it is very likely I have something that will work, already in my stash.
I gather for a specific project. I complete that project. I do one of several things with the leftovers. I sell/donate or I make a second project or even a third, and then, I sell/donate the leftovers.
When I gather for a project, buying is the last step. I look carefully through my fabric for what I need. My quilter friend looks through her fabric. Sometimes, between us, I do not have to purchase anything extra. If I do need to buy, I try to buy exactly what I need, only.
During the pandemic I made and gifted aprons and masks with odds and ends of fabric from my stash. I used up an enormous amount of fabric.
As I mentioned, I recently made microwave cozies, from those same odds and ends of fabric. I am currently making cozies and then will donate the leftovers.
I made cherry pit bags for my yoga instructors, with my existing stash of flannel, and then gifted the leftover flannel to someone who makes charity quilts.
Summer/fall 2023, I made a series of quilts, with the fabric rolling from one to the next. I am still sewing quilts, mostly with fabric from my stash, only buying what I absolutely need to finish.
I sold my excess rulers and patterns. I sold my very large button bin to a button club. I sold/gifted all my cross stitch supplies including all my embroidery floss. I gifted fabric and kits to quilter friends, things I am no longer capable of sewing. Either free or for very low prices.
I changed my quilting/sewing life style. I try very hard to use up what I have. I try to buy as little as possible.
If I get through all my fabric stash, sew up or sell/gift all my supplies, and have nothing left, I will be quite thrilled. That is my goal.
I would love to be the person who has no fabric stash, buys for a specific project, completes the project, sells/gifts the leftovers.