Sunday, January 28, 2024

The middle drawer in my island, continued

When I started on the middle drawer in the island, I was strictly concerned with the water issue. 



Several things (grater, egg slicer, lemon squeezer) can retain hidden water which can later leak out and mar the wood drawer. The flour sifter leaks flour. Flour and water make paste. 



This was my first attempt -



My closest Walmart has a lovely organizational aisle. The manager puts all available items on one huge aisle, so one can wander with their drawer measurements and consider all the possibilities.

I buy and leave all tags on and save my receipts.

I return what does not work and buy exactly what I need of the ones that do work. 

Over the course of a couple weeks, I redid five drawers,  four of which got the same style of bin, in the same length, but different widths. These drawers were different sizes. I left all the labels on all the bins, until I was confident.





Here was my second attempt -





Here was my third -



Since I do the dishes every day, most everything remains clean and in this drawer. 

When one or two things are in the dishwasher,  holes/place markers are very apparent. My husband can tell where things go, exactly. 

The things that might retain hidden water or flour, have a protected spot in a bin. 

Like things go together in bins. 

I can reach in and find anything immediately.

This is a very hard working drawer at our house.