The bottom drawer in the island is valuable real estate. It is large. It is centrally located. The island is my cooking base.
This drawer had turned into a grave yard.
The mandolin and food processor were impossible for me to manage with my arthritis.
Neither of my girls wanted them. The fifth person we asked, middle’s neighbor was very happy to take both items. When she said “yes”, we put them in the car and delivered them to her.
If she had said “no”. I would have listed them for a low amount on Facebook Marketplace.
My knives and hammer: My knives are all old, I have replacements ready. I use the hammer to tap a very large knife through watermelon and squash. I replaced the hammer with a new, sealed version that has a larger head and is heavier. A clerk at the hardware store helped me, there were a lot of options. The old hammer left rust marks, it is now on a hook on the pegboard in the garage.
I was all about “like things together” in this recent clean out and reorganization.
This bottom drawer in the island was available to hold items that were scattered and a problem in other locations.
Some people have a recipe box.
I now have a very large recipe drawer.
Remember, my recipe stand, which will hold books and binders, is located on my island.
This was my first go -
Present -
The goggles are oldest’s from high school. Youngest used his/this pair through high school and college. I replaced the elastic. We keep them because some people are very sensitive, slicing onions.
I have culled a lot of cookbooks over the years. One more was rehomed in this project. I was not overly attached to it. It did not fit upright in the bin.
You have seen this photo previously in the post about the magazine which I use as a cookbook for boards/charcuterie.





