Several years ago, I reworked all of the top drawers in my kitchen. I bought wooden dividers and decluttered/organized.
Most of them remain tidy, automatically.
One needs a deep dive several times a year (future post).
The top drawers in the island stay pretty organized and attractive.
This first drawer (above) holds all things tong related. It also holds scoops and pizza cutters. Corn on the cob holders and egg coloring holders are rarely used any more, but I keep them.
The second drawer holds my flatware and my grandmother’s flatware, intermingled. We use these pieces every day. (My mother’s flatware is identical to mine, some day when I am cleaning out her house, I will simply add hers to the mix.)
The third drawer holds my husband’s family’s flatware. I added to this set (eBay). If we have a large gathering, we use this set.
Before I started doing the dishes every day, I had a habit of leaving flatware in the bottom of the sink, dirty. One day it would not seem like there was enough for a load. Then there would be too much for a load.
This was a big issue.
Sometimes every fork and spoon, from both flatware drawers, would be dirty in the sink.
I had a large collection of flatware holders (below) for the dishwasher.
Sometimes, I would do a load of flatware, with all these containers full, because every fork and spoon, in the whole kitchen, would be dirty. This includes every soup and serving spoon.
Sometimes it took two loads to get the flatware all clean. As I said, flatware was a big issue.



