Wednesday, September 11, 2024

The Day He Never Came Home by Andrew DeYoung

Reeding Between the Lines is the book review podcast hosted by my quilt blogger (Nicole Reed) and her daughter (Sara Reed). 

Podcast format - Sara hosts each episode. Nicole joins her, at least once a month, for their book review topic. Nicole’s son, Sara’s brother, Ahren joins Sara on occasion to discuss science fiction titles. And also, occasionally, Sara interviews a variety of authors. I best like this podcast when Nicole is on it. But I like the other says too. 

One of the July podcast titles caught my attention -


https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/reeding-between-the-lines/id1744436935?i=1000663808381


The podcast (above) features the author of this book -



I sort of devoured it. I started listening on a Wednesday morning, after my book group meeting on another title, and finished it before I went to bed that same day. It was in my ears, playing, sort of the whole day. 

It was captivating. I would classify it as a “beach read”, a book with a quick pace that holds attention without being complicated or difficult. 

I absolutely could keep track of all the characters easily. 

I understood the plot. 

I enjoyed it. 

I watch enough Dateline to know that some officials are excellent, others not so much. 

So, I accepted the book’s premise that the FBI is a little incompetent, right from the start. And then just let go of certain facts that otherwise would have annoyed me in the plot. 


I think this author, at this point in time, has three books.  Would I read the other two? Yes, I might.