Friday, October 10, 2025

The Maid by Nita Prose

The Maid by Nita Prose (2022) was an assignment for Youngest’s book group. It is the first book in a series. 


My husband and I both read her assigned books, most months. This one was her assignment for October, I finished it October 1st. She actually read it in September. So we were both working far ahead this time. 

I listened to this on Libby at my normal 1.2 speed. 

I think this book took too long to set up, focusing on the main character’s neurodivergence more than necessary. It made me uncomfortable. 

The second half the book was slightly better. I am surprised her group selected this book. The writing was a little immature/unsophisticated. There were plot holes. It was not up to their usual standards.

Also frankly, is neurodivergence the go to these days? It seems like I keep running into these books. Sometimes I am not at all sure of the writer’s background with the subject. This is one of the books where I suspect the writer thinks she knows, but maybe not. 

But to the book’s credit, it does a good job of showing how easily people can fall through the cracks, in society. It shows how people need support. 

I thought there was going to be a big specific plot twist at the end. There was a slight twist, but it was not what I thought. 

No, I will not be reading the rest of the books in this series. It is a relief sometimes to be one and done and not add anything to my list.


   


I maintain accounts on GoodReads and StoryGraph, thanks to youngest getting me organized. 

StoryGraph - 










In each book post, I utilize https://www.bookseriesinorder.com/

This is a wonderful website that helps clarify the publication order of books and verifies book series. I use this website because there are no spoilers. But if I need a description, I can click over using the links, easily. There are also author bios.