Michelle Obama’s Becoming lead to my First Lady memoir search. I posted about my findings a couple weeks ago.
Two “behind the scenes” books were referenced in that search. I read both of them and loved them.
Upstairs at the White House: My Life with the First Ladies by J.B. West (with Mary Lynn Kotz) (published 1973).
The Residence: Inside the Private World of the White House by Kate Andersen Brower (published 2015).
Upstairs at the White House: My Life with the First Ladies by J.B. West (with Mary Lynn Kotz) was on Audible. I used a speed of 1.30
The Residence: Inside the Private World of the White House by Kate Andersen was available on Libby. I used a speed of 1.20.
These were super relaxing anecdotal type listens. There were lots of stories. I appreciated both books. They were well written. They were nicely organized. The audio readers were good. They were fun (for me).
I maintain accounts on GoodReads and StoryGraph, thanks to youngest getting me organized.
StoryGraph -
In each book post, I utilize https://www.bookseriesinorder.com/
This is a wonderful website that helps clarify the publication order of books and verifies book series. I use this website because there are no spoilers. But if I need a description, I can click over using the links, easily. There are also author bios.
Kate Anderson Brower was not listed on the books in order website, which surprised me. I think this is a complete list of her books (below). Since these are all nonfiction, I was not worried about spoilers, it is all history.
All of this rang a bell with me. I thought I remembered watching something on TV. Researching, I think I saw Backstairs at the White House in 1979.









