Tuesday, February 11, 2025

Corner stones and sashing

Here are examples of what my eyes see with traditional sashing and corner stones.

These first two quilts, below, look finished to me, sashing and corner stones extending all the way out to the border.




These next two quilts (below) look odd/off balance and unfinished to me.




Lottie as written (pattern below), only has corner stones in the middle of the quilt, not all the way around the blocks. I could not decide what I thought about this.







The original inspiration Lottie photo used no corner stones at all. I wasn’t sure what I thought about that either.






I found a quilt similar to Lottie with corner stones all the way to the edge. The corner stones are 9-Patches.  The 9-patches are made to float on the off white background. 

Note all the 9-patches are the same red fabric even though this is a scrap quilt. The binding is the same red too. 

I decided to make 9-patches for the corner stones on the Lottie quilt (photos in tomorrow’s post). I used a charcoal fabric. I used the same fabric to make the binding.








Note -  I did not do this method, but wanted to mention, I found a quilt (below), with corner stones only in the middle, that did not look odd at all. I like how the corner stones blocks float in the white background of the quilt. I like this concept.

Those are flying geese units sewn to the end of the sashing.  They expand beyond the width of the corner stones into the sashing. Note all these corner stones use the same two fabrics, even though the blocks are scrapped. 

This setting is very clever. But we decided it was a bit too busy for Lottie.

FYI the curved blocks are not pieced. They are fused and machine appliquéd. Not so clever.

I think this quilt would have been better without the outside colored/pattern borders. I am not a fan of colored borders in general these days. I think they make many quilts dated. I prefer one or two patch quilts with no colored/patterned border these days, think timeless pioneer quilts.


https://www.blankquilting.net/mellow-yellow-quilt-1/