Thursday, February 20, 2025

Simon the Fiddler and Chennville by Paulette Jiles

Please note, I did not realize when I started, these three books are absolutely written as a series. Must be read in order. They are terrific. 


News of the World, 
Simon the Fiddler,  
Chennville 

Notice the three book covers are beautiful and in the same style.


 



I rolled from News of the World (above) right into Simon the Fiddler (below), both on Libby, both read by Grover Gardener. I clearly like Paulette Jiles’ writing style. I very much like the audio reader Grover Gardener.

News of the World is 6 hours 42 minutes  Simon the Fiddler is 11 hours 39 minutes. 

These books take place in Texas, end of the Civil War era.

I finished Simon the Fiddler over the course of 4 days. It was as good as News of the World. Really great book. 






I rolled right into Chennville, also by Paulette Jiles, also read by Grover Gardener. 

Chennville was 11 hours 49 minutes. I devoured it in three days. Just as good as the first two. 

It was great to listen to these three books, News of the World, Simon the Fiddler, and Chennville as an immersion, one right after the other. Texas, end of the Civil War era, is a very distinct point in time. 

https://texasourtexas.texaspbs.org/the-eras-of-texas/civil-war-reconstruction/


As I said, I discovered, at the very end of Chennville that these three books are absolutely a series, must be read in order.