Saturday, February 22, 2025

Immersion method of reading

My style of reading is now very defined in my mind. I think of myself as an immersion reader.

A recent installment of Reeding Between the Lines, mentioned at the top of yesterday’s post, clarified this for me. 
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/reeding-between-the-lines/id1744436935?i=1000688346807

Sara and Nicole think that pre Internet, people found an author they loved and then read that author’s works. That is still my method. 

They think that now, people are always reaching for the next bright shiny object (new books) which are readily shown in many formats. That is not me.

But I am exposed to a wide variety of books and authors through the assigned books for my book groups. I think of this as a culled list. The librarians are picking key books for a variety of reasons.

I also now have a very organized and specific to read list based on past books from Youngest’s very good book group. 

As I find authors I like, thru assigned books or my to read list, I listen to their other works. I think of this as the immersion method of reading. It is also how I quilt.