Thursday, February 06, 2025

The Frozen River by Ariel Lawhon

First, an actual biography was written about Martha Ballard previously. 



This book, that I listened to for one of my groups, is historical fiction with an emphasis on fiction. 



I enjoyed the story of this novel. I did not need a character list. There are a lot of names, but it followed easily. I finished it in time for my book club meeting. I think everyone on my group liked this book. 

However, historical fiction, in general, is not for me. It is the fiction part that bothers me, when writing about real people and events. 

This did not bother me with Laura Ingals Wilder’s Little House series. I think because she wrote them herself. I had faith in what she chose to omit and change in her effort to convey the era to children. 

But a contemporary author fictionalizing real people is really irritating.  This book was 95%+ fiction, but based on a real rape and trial. 

I do not understand why she does not write straight fiction, all the characters fiction, inspired by real events, and stay away from real people.





The other thing actually bothered me was no effort was made to write from the time period of Ballard’s life. It was written with a thoroughly modern voice. 





I had originally considered Ariel Lawhon’s other works, but reading the assigned book and then a review of Flight of Dreams stopped me. It is about real people aboard the Hindenburg and their lives were totally fictionalized. No sticking to the facts of these real people’s lives. Again, I do not agree with using real people in a fiction book, at all. 







Barriers to Entry is on Audible only. It is under two hours. It appears to be the start of a series.





https://www.bookseriesinorder.com/ariel-lawhon/