Thursday, February 27, 2025

I am piecing the third and fourth Lottie

 This is my kitchen table, right this moment.




My leftover gray and gold Lottie blocks turned into two quilt tops, Lottie 3 and Lottie 4.

The blocks are stacked two high in the photo above. The blocks in the stacks are nearly identical. I am making two quilts simultaneously. Middle and I both love these gray and gold Lottie blocks.

I am using a large piece of white fabric to create a uniform background. That is my kitchen table with two card tables and boards to extend it. It is like a flat flannel design board for me. 

I make one block each day. It is slow but steady progress.

I stare at the colors and the blocks each time I pass through the kitchen. I like the staring. I like the slow pace. 




We were at my mother’s for lunch on Sunday. She is making a quilt top with leftover fabric from her doll clothes making days. 

Sorry, I did not think to take a photo. Think true scrap quilt with every color used, on an off white background.

She is an experienced seamstress (people clothes, doll clothes), but not a quilter. She commented piecing blocks is very different than sewing clothes. 

She is making disappearing 9-patch blocks. 


I was not familiar with that block. She found it on Facebook and read the directions. 

By some miracle, her pattern is based on 5” cut squares.  My Lottie blocks start with 5” squares. I have leftover squares. 

She mentioned, in particular, she needs browns. I have browns left from the quilt top I just finished for Youngest’s friends. 

I also realized I have a bin of 5” cut squares in my studio. Those are too bright for her project, but give me somewhere to put my extra squares without feeling like I have to use every single leftover piece from my Lottie quilts.