Monday, February 17, 2025

My TO READ MASTER BOOK LIST

The days aligned so I was facing another week and a half break between book group assignments. I called youngest, looking for ideas. 

It gets old, scrounging for book ideas between my assigned books. We created a long list, today’s post, that should carry me through 2025 and into 2026.

First, we turned to Youngest’s book group lists from 2024 and 2023 for ideas. We analyzed these lists over the phone. She remembers what I have read, shockingly well. 

A check mark means I am positive I have already read the book. 

I line through it means I am choosing NOT to read it. 

A dash in front of the title means I don’t think I have read it, and I plan to read it. If I start and realize I have read it, will simply add it to my Goodreads and move on to the next book.

I will be caught up with youngest when I finish these two lists. She started with her book group sometime in 2023. We discuss books a lot. It is fun to shadow her group.









Next, at her suggestion, I typed the list of book Youngest’s group considered for 2025, that were not selected. 

(The ones that were selected for her group for 2025 are already on my calendar.) 

The ones I have already read are marked with a  ✔️  below.


The Marriage Portrait                       

by Maggie O’Farrell                                       

Novel


All That is Mine I Carry with Me

by William Landau

Mystery


Wicked

by Gregory Maguire

Novel


Circe

by Madeline Miller

Fiction/Greek re-telling


West with Giraffes

by Lynda Rutledge

Historic Fiction

 

Portobello Road

by Ruth Rendell

Thriller


Crippen

by John Boyle

A Novel of Murder

 

The Heaven and Earth Grocery Store

by James McBride

Novel

 

The Shadow of the Wind

by Carlos Ruiz Zafon

Novel 


Waterloo

by Bernard Cornwell

Historic Fiction

 

Dead Man Walking

by Sister Helen Prejean

Non-fiction

 

 ✔️ Winesburg, Ohio

by Sherwood Anderson

Modernist literature (awful book)


The Warning

by AJ Wills

psychological thriller

 

The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared

by Jonas Jonasson

 

 ✔️ The Dutch House

by Ann Patchett     

Novel


The Anthropocene Reviewed: Essays on a Human-Centered Planet

Reviewed by John Green

 

Les Miserables

by Hugo ( abridged version)

Classic


 ✔️ Uncle Tom’s Cabin Harriet

by Beecher Stowe

Classic


 ✔️ Ender’s Game

by Orson Scott Card

Science Fiction

 

We Begin at the End

by Chris Whitaker

Novel

 

A Darker Shade of Magic

by V. E. Schwab

Novel

 

Mistborn  

by BrandonSanderson

Fantasy

 

The Kite Runner

by K. Hosseini    

Novel  

 

The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet

by David Mitchel

Novel





Then, also at Youngest’s suggestion, I typed a list from my DIL. These were all suggestions, from DIL to youngest, as possibilities for Youngest’s book group. 

The ones I have already read are marked with a  ✔️ below.


Thank You for Listening 

by Julia Whelan


The Heaven & Earth Grocery Store

by James McBride


 ✔️ Please Don't Sit on My Bed in Your Outside Clothes: Essays

By Phoebe Robinson 


Kindred

by Octavia E. Butler


Convenience Store Woman 

by Sayaka Murata


Kim Jiyoung, born 1982

by Cho Nam-Joo


Rabbit Cake 

by Annie Hartnett


I Want to Die but I Want to Eat Tteokbokki

by Baek Se-hee


The Wager: A Tale of Shipwreck, Mutiny and Murder

by David Grann


The Fox Wife

By Yangsze Choo


Dava Shastri’s Last Day

by Kirthana Ramisetti


The Plot (Books series, 1)

By Jean Hanff Korelitz


I Have Some Questions for You

by Rebecca Makkai


The Great Believers

by Rebecca Makkai