Tuesday, February 18, 2025

News of the World by Paulette Jiles

Note - I read another book about a girl who was returned to her family after many years with the Indians, her return did not go well.  I think it took place on the east coast. Youngest read this book also. We can’t think of the title nor the author. It might have been YA. 


Another note - Youngest is set up so she can get on my Goodreads account. She suggested loading the books from my Master To Read List (yesterday’s post) to the Want To Read category on my Goodreads account. 

I did not load all of them, but I loaded the first set (13 books, below). Thirteen feels like a very manageable number. 




News of the World by Paulette Jiles is the first book from my To Read Master List, yesterday’s post. This first book was a big success for the effort/organization of this list. 

On Libby, News of the World by Paulette Jiles was a quick listen at just under 7 hours. I listened straight thru, only pausing to answer the phone or talk to the dogs.

It was most excellent. One of the best books I have read in a long time. Great story, great characters, extremely well written.

I mentioned this book to my husband, he listened to it also, same thing, straight thru in one day, really liked it.

I am staying on this author and listening to her other recent fiction pieces. 

I am reading Simon the Fiddler and Chenneville first, which will complete her most recent works. They are read by the same person, Grover Gardner, in audio format, and sort of go together. Simon the fiddler is a character from News of the World. 


Then I plan to read Enemy Women, Stormy Weather, The Color of Lightening, Lighthouse Island. 

Her early works and non-fiction (full list at tge bottom of this post) are not readily available in any form and not in audio, I am skipping them.







Below is the nonfiction title, Captured, mentioned at the end of the News of the World audio book. When Youngest’s group read this book, the leader of that month’s meeting, the book’s sponsor, read Captured too. The group spent a lot of time talking about this book and the concept of the reclaimed children. 




It is available in audio format  - 





 Paulette Jiles -