Saturday, February 01, 2025

We Solve Murders by Richard Osman

NOTE - Happier in Hollywood did a special bonus episode on We Solve Murders. 

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/happier-in-hollywood/id1236845161?i=1000679858379



I read the Thursday Murder Club series, by Richard Osman, over the holidays. 


If you are interested in this series, I recommend reading it exactly the way I did, one right after the other, in short order, while all the characters are fresh to mind. There are a lot of characters.



When I finished, youngest told me there was a fifth Osman book, that is the start of another series. 

Overall I enjoyed We Solve Murders. But I have a couple notes of caution.

I experienced the same slightly rocky start as the first book in the Thursday Murder Club series. I had to start over in the beginning. I listened to the first 4-5 chapters, was slightly lost, started the book from the beginning again, and then was fine. 

The chapters are usually short. The book changes characters frequently. I did not find this confusing, but if I got distracted, I had to rewind. 

The end was a little confusing. I had to rewind there too. It was as if there needed to be one more chapter.


I did find/use a character list, it helped at the beginning. I did not need it very long.

  • Amy Wheeler: A private security officer who is quick-thinking and calm, but struggles with emotional connections. She works with Rosie D'Antonio, a bestselling author. 
  • Adam: Amy's husband, who doesn't have an emotional relationship with his father, Steve. 
  • Steve Wheeler: Amy's father-in-law and a retired cop who enjoys a peaceful life. He has a unique bond with Amy and often talks to his late wife, Debbie. 
  • Tony Taylor: Steve's best mate in the New Forest.
  • Rosie D'Antonio: A bestselling author with a youthful spirit and infectious energy. Her life becomes a target due to her controversial writing. 
  • François Loubet: A cunning money smuggler who uses social media influencers for illicit activities. 
  • Vasily Karpin: Wants to kill Rosie. 
  • Jeff Nolan - Amy’s boss at Maximum Impact Solutions 
  • Henk Van Veen / The Dutchman - Jeff’s former friend and business partner 


I liked We Solve Murders. It was a light read while I was sewing over the holidays. 

Osman churns these books out very quickly. He is an okay writer, but not a brilliant one. 

We Solve Murders probably will be made into a TV series also. 

I am not reading his non-fiction -