Monday, February 03, 2025

Pinwheel Poppers

Several weeks ago, I signed up for the Pinwheel Poppers Sew Along which starts this coming week on 2/5/25. 

Check Southern Charm Quilts and/or Snuggle Bug Stitching for more information.  

https://snugglebugstitching.myflodesk.com/pinwheel-popper-qal-signup


What I like about this quilt -

It is a one block design.

It is simple, but looks great.

It is a very controlled scrap quilt. It has a scrappy appearance, but fabrics are reused. 






What’s a Quilt Along or Sew Along? 

Reading Nicole’s quilt blog, I am newly familiar with the concept of sew alongs. Nicole has a blog label for “sew along”. 

https://sisterschoice.typepad.com/sisters_choice_quilts/sew-along/

Nicole prefers sew alongs where the finished quilt is known from the start, fabric can be planned carefully, there is no mystery. I agree.



The internet explains - 











When I look at the example for this quilt along (below), frankly I think “muddy”. There is not quite enough definition in the colors for me. I am fine with the green in the pinwheels and the white. But the coral/peach is slightly too strong for me. 

I am confident lots of Pinwheel Popper photos with stellar color choices will post with this challenge. I am waiting to make mine, until I see those photos.









I found one other Pinwheels Popper example on the internet which is even muddier (to me). 

I don’t know what they were thinking in including that dark brick fabric. Movement in a quilt, with contrasting and blending colors, is very important. But that dark fabric just confuses the design, in my opinion. 




A trick in choosing quilt fabrics is to use a black and white photo to see the color values in a different way.