Friday, February 21, 2025

Enemy Women by Paulette Jiles

In each book post, I utilize https://www.bookseriesinorder.com/

This is a wonderful website that helps clarify the publication order of books and verifies book series. 



Note - Sara and Nicole did a review of favorite authors on their podcast, Reeding Between the Lines. I will talk most about this in tomorrow’s post. https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/reeding-between-the-lines/id1744436935?i=1000688346807




I skipped Paulette Jiles very early works which are not available in audio format. I read her latest three works, all post Civil War Texas, first. These were definitely a series, with over lapping characters/events, even though the books are not marketed that way. 

I started with The News of the World because it was the first book on my Master To Read list, compiled off books read/considered by Youngest’s book group. Then I read Simon the Fiddler and Chennville. These three books are definitely a series. The characters and plot over lap.




I am currently reading the four books in the middle. 




The first of the four middle books is Enemy Women, set in Missouri, during the Civil War. The main character is an 18 year old female. This book is fiction. 

Non-fiction pieces are read at the beginning of each chapter. These are all related to the time/events/area. They are very interesting and add much to the story of women in Missouri during the Civil War.

The writing is certainly good, the story is compelling.  Enemy Women was a NY Times best seller. 

But it is not quite as strong as Paulette Jiles’ most recently published three books, all based on post Civil War Texas, which I read first. 

The writing got better as the book progressed. 

It will be interesting to see when she hit her stride. 






I have no idea of the topics of the next three books, Stormy Weather, The Color of Lightening, Light House Island. The titles sound as if they might go together. But I very carefully did not research. I will be inter weaving them around my book group assignments. I had one book group meeting yesterday and I have two this upcoming week.

I very much like having a quilt list and a book list and my assigned book group titles. I like being able to move from one to the next with no wasted time.