Friday, February 28, 2025

The Lost Bookshop by Evie Woods

The Lost Bookshop by Evie Woods was a current book group assignment for me. The story mentions the Bronte sisters. A list of their books is at the bottom of this post.


The calendar aligned so I had two groups meet on the same day this week. This means two book deadlines for the exact same day. This happens. I roll with it.

I read both books and attended both meetings. I like both groups. But I had to make a choice. I read this book first. 


I was on hold, Libby, for quite a while for this book (many weeks). I checked Hoopla, long waits there too.

I never panic. Usually the hold becomes available in time. If not, Audible is my backup plan, instantly available. 

In this case, I needed Audible, the hold did not come thru in time. 





I started this book and frankly was not quite sure what was going on, so I looked up the description. 



To be very honest, the book was not captivating to me. It combined three genres that are not my favorites - magic, romance and historical fiction. It also had two timelines. 

The first 20 chapters dragged for me. If I got the slightest bit distracted, I was in trouble. So I was never sure if I was following the two stories very well. 

I used SuperSummary to make sure I was on track. So I read the book, while simultaneously reading the chapter notes in my SuperSummary app. I used the SuperSummary app as sort of a rudder to make sure I did not get off course. This worked really well for me until I git well into the book. Then I no longer needed the summary.

I am not saying the book was confusing. I don’t think it was. I think I was easily distracted because the book did not hold my interest as books usually do. 

I felt ambivalent about this book. If it had not been an assignment, I would have moved on to the next book on my list. 

My guess going into my meeting was that everyone else would love it. 



https://www.bookseriesinorder.com/evie-woods/